Friday 30 December 2011

CAMPUS POLITICS

Campus politics are a lot like the national politics. They are cutthroat, murky and marred with allegations of corruption, hooliganism and riots.
According to some of the University of Nairobi (UoN) student leaders interviewed, the process of electing student leaders is expensive and time consuming. To stand a chance of being elected at the UoN for example, one must campaign in all the campuses including Kabete, Kikuyu, among others.
There is also the need to ‘oil the wheels’ by throwing parties or buying food and drink for voters among other things. Not many women take up the challenge but a few do, meet Anastasia, Caroline and Nancy.

Anastasia Nabukenya Mirimu

Anastasia Nabukenya MirimuAnastasia, 23, is a Third Year student from Mombasa, pursuing a Bachelor of Arts degree in Economics and Sociology at the UoN.

When did you get involved in campus politics?Leadership is my passion. I was elected into the Students Organisation of University of Nairobi (Sonu) as a congress lady in charge of the Stella Awinja hostel in First Year. In Second Year, I was elected into the executive organ of the body as the secretary of health, catering and accommodation.

Who are your mentors?My mother is my pillar and greatest encourager. She has a strong personality that I took after. Tabitha Njoroge, the CEO of Women in Law and Development in Africa (Wildaf) is my other mentor. She has helped me be outspoken, assertive and a go-getter. In her campus years, Tabitha was the chairlady of Women Students Welfare Association (Woswa). She helps me deal with the ups and downs of being a student leader.
Christine Kisaka, the relationship manager at Chase Bank Riverside branch helps me balance between politics and studies by reminding me that my books should come first.

What are some of the challenges you have faced in campus politics?The major challenge was overcoming the male chauvinistic attitude. I was the only woman vying in Second Year against four men. My winning proved that women could make it in anything they put their mind to. Since then, more women have been elected.

What did you want to achieve in campus leadership?I wanted to inspire my fellow female students and young girls and show them that they can succeed in whatever they determine to do, including being leaders. I wanted them to know that leadership is not meant for men only.
Also, being the secretary-general for the Forum for Coast University of Nairobi Students (Focus), I mentor high school students.
I am also involved in the Political Leadership and Training Programme (PLDP), a joint initiative of the Youth Agenda and Citizens Coalition for the Constitutional Culture (4cs) in partnership with the Friedrich Ebert Foundation, which aims to create a new political leadership culture in Kenya. Kenyan youths with outstanding leadership qualities can participate in this training. Some of the alumni of the programme include MP Rachel Shebesh, Ann Njogu and Sophie Ngugi, the executive director of Young Women Leadership Institute (YWLI), of which I’m a member. 

Caroline Akeyo Othim Caroline, 22, is a Fourth Year Political Science and Sociology student at UoN. She is also one of the few female student leaders.

What made you get interested in campus politics?Apart from my degree course, being a prefect in Shiners High School also shaped my interest in politics. 

You are the representative of Woswa, have you held other leadership positions prior to this?I was congress lady in First Year and I vied for vice chair, academic affairs in Second Year. In April’s election, I vied for treasurer, a position I was sure to win were it not for the irregularities that led to riots and nullification of the exercise. I was later co-opted into the interim committee that took over the mandate of Sonu, but I declined the offer for personal reasons.

Who were your greatest mentors?Mrs Mary Okello, the founder and director of Makini Schools has been a mentor, a role model and a great source of support and encouragement. She has excelled in many fields and she is a woman of integrity and dignity.
My friends and family have also been there for me. 

What does campus leadership involve?The main responsibility of student leaders is to bridge the gap between students and the administration. Through the student leaders, students can present their grievances to the administration. 

What are the challenges you faced in campaigning and in office?Being a woman is a challenge because many men believe leadership is their preserve. One has to be strong and determined to rise above stereotypes and other obstacles.
Lack of money is another challenge. One needs a lot of money to campaign in all the campuses, print posters and compete with hooligans.
Ethnicity is also a challenge. 

Do you intend to pursue politics after graduating from the university?Yes, but as a career diplomat. However, if I get a chance to go for a Parliamentary position, I know I can stand up to the challenge.

What are your biggest achievements so far?Together with a few students, we have formed an organisation called Centre for Education, Empowerment and Leadership (Ceel) to spearhead girl-child education in rural Kenya. The organisation also seeks to empower women economically and to train the youth in political leadership.
I am also among the founding members of Nyanza Educational Women Initiative (Newi), which aims to mentor and motivate high school students.
There is no greater achievement in student leadership than to help students go through school smoothly.


Nancy Achieng AbiraNancy, 23, is a Fifth Year Civil Engineering student at the UoN and also a student leader.

When did you start getting involved in campus politics?I got involved in actual politics when I joined campus.

What made you vie for student leadership?The person who first got me interested in politics is my dad. He liked politics and he would read many political papers and articles.
My other political mentor, when I joined campus, was Linda Ogweno, a student leader then. She taught me a lot in the art of politics. 

What were your greatest challenges when you were a leader?Balancing between studies and leadership responsibilities has been very tough. At one point, I found myself the class representative, the school-based association official and also a member of the student council, and it was such a hectic period.
The other challenge is limited time. Sonu student leadership is only a one-year term, which is not enough to achieve much. There is discontinuity because campus politics, just like the national politics, is about the person rather than the functions.

What are the challenges you faced during the campaign period?The campaign period is very challenging, but also interesting. Making first appearances, selling policies and getting opinions was fun. The hard part comes when you have to deal with the lack of funds and the power of propaganda. It ceases to be about you and your policies.

What drove you participate in campus politics?My main goal was to work with other young women to create awareness on issues affecting the society and to be prepared for greater leadership responsibilities beyond campus.

What were your greatest achievements? As a gender affairs secretary, I was able to address many gender related problems. Being there for my fellow students, creating forums for information sharing and access to various organizations also top my success list.

What positions have you held to date?I have been class representative since 2006. In 2007 and 2008, I was at the secretariat in Sonu. In 2008 and 2009, I was Assistant Academic Secretary (ESA) and I have been Sonu gender affairs secretary since last year.

1 comment: